Friedrich Nietzsche

 


Friedrich Nietzsche was a philosopher in the 19th century. I find his work inspirational and life affirming.

Nietzsche's book Also sprach Zarathustra: Ein Buch für Alle und Keinen has two translations, Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Thus Spake Zarathustra. Thus Spoke Zarathustra is written in relatively modern English and Thus Spake Zarathustra is written in biblical English. I have read Thus Spoke Zarathustra and now I am reading Thus Spake Zarathustra.

I thought Thus Spake Zarathustra would be more impactful because of its biblical style, but I'm finding it less impactful because of the less direct language and the distraction of having to mentally translate the book into modern English. 

Thus Spake Zarathustra uses the term Superman whereas Thus Spoke Zarathustra uses the term Overman. The word Superman has been diluted by popular culture and I feel the word Overman better captures the feeling of Nietzsche's Ubermesch, the successor that rises above mankind.

I will continue reading Thus Spake Zarathustra, as an exercise.

All for now,

Boston.

Update 20/12/2023

I read The Twilight of the Idols. I didn't get much out of it because it was just a critique of German culture, which I don't know much about. I'm reading The Antichrist, which is a critique of Christian churches. Not bad, at least I know what he's talking about and I can take it with a grain of salt.

Boston 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maths Game.

Diablo II Hell Bovine Figurines

Artificial Sweeteners.